Prince of Thorns

Prince of Thorns - Mark  Lawrence I really loved, loved, loved LOVED this book. After finishing, I wondered where the hell was I all this time, and why the hell didn't I read this sooner? It's dark, it's cold, it's fantastical, it's bloody brilliant!

Many things this novel may be, but most certainly it's not for the faint hearted. If you picked this up hoping to bite into a sweet, honorable, feel-good story, the first chapter lone will knock your teeth out.

Lawrence is a truly gifted storyteller, as he immerses the reader in the brutal world of knights of old, while denying you the comfort of foolish romanticism often associated with such stories.

The crown jewel of the entire novel is creation of an antihero in the truest sense of the word. Up to the very end, I had no idea how to feel about Jorg. Usually, when we're given an antihero, the author leaves that one single connecting point to humanity, that one redeeming quality that gives you the justification you need to validate the anti-social behavior. Lawrence gives you NONE, as he plays with his reader mercilessly till the very end. The novel is incredibly fast paced, filled with action, and the ever-changing scenes give you plenty opportunity to glimpse inside of Jorg's mind. What you find in there has you reeling.

I wanted to save the kid, I wanted to watch him die. I understood him, at the same time he confused the hell out of me. I hated him for the majority of the novel, and at the same time he is one of the best leading characters I have come across. That's how brilliant Lawrence's writing is. He will lay the scene out and allow you just enough to begin to hope you found that human connection, then quickly cut it to shreds before your very eyes. He will allow you just enough to like a character, before killing him off unsuspectingly. He will keep you on your toes the entire time.

What you think you know about the novel at the very beginning, will change more then a few times before you reach the end...if you want to know about it, persevere and you shall be rewarded. This is a dark fantasy of epic proportions.

This has easily become one of my favorite books I've read, and Lawrence got himself a fan.