The Eternity Cure

The Eternity Cure - Julie Kagawa Well, this was disappointing.

It would appear that those small plot problems bloomed and blossomed in the second edition of the Blood of Eden series. I have to admit I am torn. I liked the first book, and I really wanted this series to work. It's just when I notice something, I can't just put it out of my mind. Especially if it pertains to the writing style or plot. In that case it just follows me around like a dark cloud until it manages to rain on my parade.

One of those things I guess.

What i've noticed in The Immortal Rules was the way the plot developed, smooth, clean cut and with no surprises. Allie was hungry? Two biker dudes appear. She's hungry again? Some random dude is dying anyway, so she doesn't have to make any hard choices - what a coincidence.

Here's the thing, though. In The Immortal Rules it was subtle, I mean you can still pick up on it, but it was really subtle. Not so much here...

Rumour has it that there is a supa-secret government lab in the subway tunnels below Washington DC and maybe, just maybe there could be small chance that somehow, somewhere the information on creation of Rabidizm was left behind. I mean, c'mon! What are the chances of that?

Allie and Jackal (hate that name BTW) get down in these tunnels, and find the lab straight away, I mean in couple hours tops. Wow, they're talented!

But hey! Their luck doesn't end there. They get in the lab, and the very first door Allie finds contains a desk, and on it a journal. A very important one- that says things like this: In case there is somebody randomly looking for information on the Red Lung, look no further....here it is! If you are looking for an antidote, look no further...there it is! If you're kinda sorta stuck with your plot, and have no clue how to introduce new information, look no further...is this a magical journal or what???...why yes, yes it is...

You can have one or two, 'What are the odds?' moments in your book, do it too many times and the reader will simply disconnect. It takes away from the realism.

I don't know what the hell is going on with my book choices lately, seems like I need some of Allie's luck....this is the end of Blood of Eden for me.